Special ceramics were developed in the early 20th century, in modern production and the promotion of science and technology and, under their ' breed ' very quickly, especially in the last 20 or 30 years, new varieties of endless, dazzling. In accordance with the Division of chemical composition:
1. oxide ceramics: alumina, zirconia, magnesium oxide, calcium oxide, beryllium oxide, zinc oxide, yttrium oxide, titanium oxide, thorium oxide, uranium oxide, etc.
2. the nitride ceramics: silicon nitride, aluminium nitride, Boron Nitride, uranium nitride, etc.
3. carbide ceramics: silicon carbide, boron carbide, uranium carbide, etc.
4. boride ceramics: lanthanum-zirconium diboride and boron.
5. the silicide ceramics: molybdenum silicide, and so on.
6. fluoride ceramics: such as magnesium fluoride, calcium fluoride and lanthanum fluoride.
7. sulphide ceramics: cerium zinc sulfide, sulfur, and arsenic ceramic, ceramic selenide, Telluride ceramics.